The Senior Systems Administrator’s key responsibility is to ensure the continuous availability and reliability of Cogeco’s IT server, backup Systems and related hardware and software components. The administrator also ensures that expected results are delivered to the user community at agreed upon performance standards. In addition to day-to-day operation, he/she is involved in infrastructure and application related projects, maintenances and support to ensure the implementation of a high performing 24/7 infrastructure.
1. Participates in server technology related projects, performs and supports the implementation of planned deliverables
2. Administers the ongoing operation of Cogeco’s IT servers across Ontario, Quebec and in the cloud.
3. Installs, administers, troubleshoots and maintains all (Dev, Test & Prod) servers
4. Troubleshoots errors related to the OS, disk storage, backup hardware, software and related tools.
5. Applies security standards at all times, including the correct patching level and configuration to achieve security and operating systems patch management policy.
6. Implements and monitors daily backup and recovery of the operating systems using enterprise backup server software.
7. Monitors and responds to hardware and software alarms using appropriate problem determination tools.
8. Provides systems and applications related support to the Operations and the Application Development Teams.
9. Supports IT operations, incident, change and problem management ITIL processes and controls
10. As part of their work, employees must take all necessary measures to ensure their own health and safety, and that of their co-workers and the public in general. They must use available personal protective equipment at all times, and comply with all Health & Safety instructions, guidelines, policies and procedures issued by the Company
11. Consistently strives to fulfil Cogeco’s corporate objective to provide excellent service to all customers.
12. Other duties and projects as assigned.
• Bachelor degree in computer science or related fields.
• Server related certification is a definite asset.
• Minimum 8-10 years’ experience in IT, with >5 years in a systems administration position.
• Significant RHEL 6-8 experience is required.
• Significant experience working in both cloud and virtualized environments (GCP, vSphere, Azure, KVM)
• Strong experience with automation and scripting (Ansible, Terraform, Satellite, Kickstart, BASH, Perl, Python)
• Strong understanding of cloud and hybrid cloud best practices including monitoring, backup, DR, auto-scaling
• Experience with containers and container tools (Docker EE, Kubernetes, Podman, Buildah, Weave)
• Experience with vRealize Automation is an asset.
• Experience in volume, file systems management and disk storage systems (XFS, EXT4, ZFS, LVM)
• Experience in OS hardening, system security and auditing (SELinux, nftables, firewalld, winbind, realmd).
• Experience with Windows 2012-2019 an asset
• Experience in one or more backup products (TSM or Veeam preferred).
• Experience in configuration of servers in high availability and performing recovery tests in disaster recovery environments.
• Working knowledge of centralized monitoring tools.
• Significant project experience working within Agile, Kanban Scrum environments
• Experience with DevOps and Infrastructure As Code workflows and tool chains
• Strong customer and business orientation.
• Strong presentation and writing skills.
• Ability to work in a constantly changing and fast-paced environment.
• Ability to handle situations involving unplanned outages.
• Well developed problem-solving skills.
• A 360 degree view of technical problems and customers’ needs.
• Relevant certification and bilingualism will be assets.